6 May 2006

Bits of Brisbane : Goodwill Bridge

"Burning bridges in the morning light." - Remy Shand

 

Seriously, how many bridges do you need in merely the heart of Queensland? Eleven. It is really absurb but true. My eyes may be playing tricks on me but I have spotted three bridges over the Brisbane River near the city area. One for only pedestrians, one for only vehicles, one for pedestrians and vehicles. Only these three are more than enough but then I found out there are eight more around Brisbane.


1895: Albert Bridge
1932: William Jolly Bridge
1936: Walter Taylor Bridge
1940: Story Bridge
1969: Victoria Bridge
1972: Captain Cook Bridge
1978: Merivale Bridge
----: Centenary Bridge
1986: Gateway Bridge
1998: Jack Pesch Bridge
2001: Goodwill Bridge
Source: Wikipedia.org

I am a hermit. I barely set foot in the Gardens Point campus. So when I found out the Goodwill Bridge starts from the edge of the campus, imagine my astonishment. I do not see Penang Bridge starting at the backdoor of my high school. So, it is an honour. Lame, really. But you can ignore me.

The first time I crossed the bridge was during night time. I neglected my kickass camera that is why I did not deliver any night shots. But fret not, not much cameras are able to take steady shots at night. So you did not miss out much. Besides, Brisbane is blessed with stark blue skies and Simpson clouds. It is prettier in the morning.

History lesson. The Goodwill Bridge was built in conjunction with the Goodwill Games held in Brisbane back in 2001. Sad excuse, really. You build something just because a major event is taking place in town. Hey, some Olympic-like game is coming to town, what should we do to stand out? I don't know. Build a fucking bridge! What is this Goodwill thing anyway? I have not a bloody idea.

Anyway, it is a pedestrian-cum-cyclist-cum-rollerblader bridge. From Northside to Southside (or vice versa), it spans across the Brisbane River, linking from the Queensland University of Technology Gardens Point campus to the South Bank Parklands, nearby Griffith University.

Gawd, is this entry boring or what?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home