2 May 2006

Autumn in Adelaide : Souvenirs

No, I am just bored and procrastinating. I should not have so much free time in my hands, to be honest. Since I had posted on something as random as the last entry, I guess I can get even more random with this one. I have so much to say about the trip.

 

There is this store in Hahndorf. Storison. They sell the most kickass things ever. Everything from the shop is environmental friendly. An environmentalist will probably get an orgasm stepping through the doors. I bought #1, #2 and #3 there.

#1 is a photo album made out of a used carplate. Probably the most brilliant thing ever. It also comes with a writing journal and a CD case. I have not been writing journals in the longest time and I do not intend to start any time soon. I already have a CD case and the ones selling have too little slots for my collection anyway. So I settled for a photo album. Not that I do not have any albums; I have three. But this is special. Maybe I will put in special pictures. Or maybe it will be just one of those things I keep as a souvenir. I chose a "Sunshine State" one for the one obvious reason. The number is nothing significant to me nor is the colour. So there.

#2 is a notepad with its cover made out of a used A6 car tyre. I know it is an A6 because I am a car enthusiast and I can differentiate by merely feeling the material. Well, no, there is a sticker at the back cover saying "this is made out of an A6 tyre". No, I am not a car enthusiast. Did you really believe what I just said? The notepad is for Ee Ling. A little souvenir. There are also mousepads made from the same recycled material. You know it is made from car tyres because it says so on the cover. "I used to be a car tyre".

#3 is a sea cow. Not a whale. It was a crucial moment for me whilst choosing in between a denim sea cow and a yellow seal. Alas, I settled for the former. Nothing special, really. Handmade just like most soft toys out there with a whacky price tag. But I just need something to hold onto at night in bed. It can get real lonely on cold cold nights in a queen size bed. But it is quite a cute thing. I bought most of the soft toys in my wardrobe back home. Only a handful are from my friends.

Storison also sells pencils made from papers and pens made from plastic cups. A sieve and a guidebook on how to make your own recycled paper. Planners and CD cases with covers made from printed circuit boards. And you know, the typical soaps and bath rubs made from natural resources. Quite a costly place to spend money on but the things you get out of there are awesome.

#4 is from Urban Cow Studio. I fucking love that store and wanted to get something out of it despite the fancy price tags. You know how artistic junks are. There were figurines of musicians made from steel. There were cards with arts made from all sorts of materials. There were one of a kind artistic pictures. There were matching plates and bowls. But alas, I am a poor student. I can barely afford the handmade molded chicks with abnormal colours and spots. They were supposed to be the aftermath of hatched Easter eggs. They came in chinese food boxes and different colours and same sizes. I bought another for Shu Wen to thank her for her hospitality in Adelaide. I hid one under her desk and planned not to tell her until I have reached Brisbane. But that girl is thorough and thought I accidentally left it behind instead. She found the Easter egg.

Urban Cow Studio is an artsy fartsy corner store in downtown Adelaide near North Terrace. You may have noticed a picture of the exterior in the Miscellaneous post. I like artsy fartsy stuff. I am not an artist myself but I like peculiar shapes and lines with a fucked up splurge of colours. I may not know how to analyse paintings or figurines but I do believe there is a message behind every exhibition. I just think they are pretty. I may be patronising. Sorry if I am. But it is somewhere I would love to hang out if I stay in Adelaide. Kind of like visiting my favourite clothing stores, CD stores and bookstores without the need to purchase anything. It has a sense of comfort like of a home.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home