13 August 2007

A review: Once

Disclaimer: Spoilers ahoy!


It was something I needed, after spending an entire weekend trying to fight against the currents of writer's block to come up with something good for my assignment. It had been quite disheartening, the weekend. A night out to watch a movie I have been waiting to see was quite a release. As Leng and I made our way towards the Regent Cinemas a few blocks away, I anticipated a few hours of relaxation to take my mind off what I have been trying to proceed properly at home. We went through the entrance, and striding out with a group of people, with his head shied away a little from public notice under his brown beanie, it was Glen Hansard.

The movie started off on a humorous note, and would continue so throughout the hours to keep the audience entertained. What with the Guy (by Glen Hansard) chasing a heroin addict across the streets for stealing his busking earnings, and him and the Girl (by Marketa Irglova) going for lunch as she tugged her little Hoover down the streets. It seems quite cheesy at times, sometimes predictable, but all in all, funny and cute.

It is said that Once is a musical film. That would explain the lengthy music "performances". But that has never crossed my mind. Normally, a musical would include sudden breakouts of dancing and singing. Ala Moulin Rouge or Chicago. What we see in this movie is as if a bunch of music videos strung into one badly cinematographed movie. At times, I do get bored when the songs decided to be played entirely. But seeing that it is a "musical", I guess that explains it. Yet the movie has a wonderful soundtrack. I like the songs. I just did not expect them to play it all in the movie. I would just stay at home and listen to the soundtrack on my iTunes again and again.

There is not a really interesting story plot for the movie. Just a simple one of the Guy's journey to fulfil his dreams. While getting there, he tries to mend a broken heart and knows a Girl who could probably just help him by taking him into her arms instead. You could say that the movie is sort of like a fictional documentary of Glen Hansard's life as a musician before he got famous. He did mention that it is partly real. It feels like a fictional documentary, what with the bad cinematography and all. But hey. It is an indie film and it was shot in 17 days in January with only $160,000 as the budget. The film is not really out to win Oscar awards or the likes. But. It has already won the World Cinema Audience Award at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival.

The movie tries to dodge potential cliched moments and did it quite marvelously. Although the ending did not really have a closure, especially after finding out what Miluju tebe means in Czech. But I guess I would rather take that ending than have the Guy and Girl kiss in the end and live happily ever after. As Hansard has stated himself, "Had Fox Searchlight Pictures changed it, had they changed the end and made us kiss, I wouldn't be interested in coming and promoting it, at all."

I will not say it is the best damn movie I have ever seen. Mind you, I have a tiny problem with musicians going into showbiz hoping to break free from their common ground but plays a part as a musician (Britney Spears in Crossroads and Ashlee Simpson in Undiscovered). But well. This is quite alright. At least Hansard is not pretending that he is trying to "break new grounds" for his acting career.

Before the movie began, a BIFF staff announced that Glen Hansard was in the next room and would come over after the movie for a little Q&A session, and hopefully sing some songs as well. Only then, was I certain that I did indeed bumped into him at the entrance. After the movie, Hansard took the stage and conducted a mini Q&A session about the movie. After that, he performed Say It to Me Now and Falling Slowly from the soundtrack, as well as a song he co-wrote with a friend in the middle of the night in a park drunk.

He hung around after that outside the theatre for an impromptu meet and greet. I managed to get his autograph and took a picture with him. I would have liked to comment on how brilliant his songs were, but I was never one good with words. Besides, I am not exactly his biggest fan nor am I familiar with his songs prior to Once. Honestly, I would choose Damien Rice over him any time of the day. Heh.

All in all, it was a good experience with such an unexpected encounter. Hitting two birds with one stone. Definitely something worthwhile. It is just weird that when I tell people I bumped into Glen Hansard they would have no idea who the heck I am talking about.


Credits: BIFF. IMDB.com. Wikipedia.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home