12 March 2007

Lesson #8

Mr King
Nerina Pallot
(listen)


Good days, bad days, I've had a few of those.
Same old story - I know how this song goes,
At least, I did, but now I'm not so sure.
Nothing's in its place, nothing's certain anymore..
Birds fly. Trees sway. Why can't I be like that?
Happy knowing what I am, in fact, and leaving be?
But truth has been obscured -
I am only human and I'm always wanting... more.

Oh the world is a place, and the say its on our side,
But I wonder, is there comfort in those moments when we die?
Now I see, Mr King, this was in the books you gave me -
Which I read, disbelieving, thinking poets are depressed.
Oh, Mr King, I have changed, I confess.

Oh those good days I remember well:
Tape on windows, wintertime was hell
But it was fun, and people there were kind -
There was good work to be done, and I learnt to think my time.

And the world was a good place, and in days were where I lived
I imagined life had purpose and I'd something good to give.
Mr Cave played along on the battered hallway piano -
Oh every love song a secret to be shared.
Oh, Mr King, how I wish I was back there.

Now, I've got 10 things lined up on a shelf
Reasons to be cheerful for myself.
I don't know why you're showing me the sky -
You say you see heaven,
I see hell, but want to try.

And the world is a place, and I pray it's on my side,
But I'd find greater comfort if I just lay down and died.
I don't know what's become of the girl who once knew sunshine,
What's become of the girl who knew sorrow but was strong?
Oh, Mr King you were right, all along;
Mr King you were right.
Oh Mr King, you were right - I was wrong.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home